Read the Pamphlet one for the Money
Prayerfully Ponder what you've read. Seek Guidance from our Heavenly Father on areas to improve upon.
Teach family members early the importance of working and earning. “In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread” (Genesis 3:19) is not outdated counsel. It is basic to personal welfare.
This is something we try to do, allowance in our family is based on the work done in the house, NOT ALL of it because when you LIVE somewhere there are things expected to be done its just how families should do things.
-
Teach children to make money decisions in keeping with their capacities to comprehend. “Save your money” is a hollow pronouncement from a parent to a child. “Save your money for a mission, a bicycle, a doll house, a trousseau, or a car” makes understandable sense.
This concept has been well understood by our children. My oldest son worked his butt off last summer for a while he eared a good portion of money. I was very proud of him for doing that. My daughter has done this too and is currently looking for that elusive job so she can buy a car. Kevin and I decided long ago if you dont have the cash for it dont buy it, that of course does not apply to a house or vehicle but for everything else it does. SO saving is a BIG deal. What we have is paid for except for the house. I am proud of that.
-
Teach each family member to contribute to the total family welfare. Encourage fun projects, understandable to the children, that contribute to a family goal or joy. Some families miss a tremendous financial and spiritual experience when they fail to sit together, preferably during family home evening, and each put in his share of the monthly amount going to the son or daughter, brother or sister who is serving in the mission field. When this monthly activity is engaged in all at once, he or she becomes “our” missionary and pride becomes a two-way street.
4. Teach family members that paying financial obligations promptly is part of integrity and honesty development.
Many parents dont talk to kida bout finances, I was shocked about that. I always clue the kids in on things financial. I dont go into minute detail but it helps them to know that bills are being paid and that is why we cant just go.... and do...
5. Paying tithing promptly to Him who does not come to check up each month will teach us to be more honest with those physically closer at hand.
Honestly THIS has been hard. Im trying it now will get back to you on it.
6.Learn to manage money before it manages you. A bride-to-be would do well to ask herself, “Can my sweetheart manage money? Does he know how to live within his means?” These are more important questions than “Can he earn a lot of money?” New attitudes and relationships toward money should be developed constantly by all couples. After all, the partnership should be full and eternal.
I did all this prior to marrying my sweetheart, I love him but after many accidents and other life altering things his attitudes and ability's changed and not for the good with regards to this portion. It was a hard few years but we got through them.
7. Learn self-discipline and self-restraint in money matters. Such conduct can be more important than courses in accounting. Married couples show genuine maturity when they think of their partners and their families ahead of their own spending impulses.
I agree
8. Use a budget.
I chuckled with this one, IF you have money you can budget it. Its pretty hard to budget when you have NO idea where the money is going to come from, today's world makes that pretty hard for most folks. Kevin and I did and I still do make do with what is available sometimes there was nothing for the month and that is when food storage came in pretty handy.
9. Make education a continuing process. Complete as much formal, full-time education as possible. This includes the trade schools. This is money well invested. Use night school and correspondence classes to further prepare. Acquire some special skill or ability that could be used to avoid prolonged unemployment. In these days of worldwide heavy unemployment, we should not allow ourselves, when we are out of work, to sit back and wait for “our type of job” if other honorable interim employment becomes available.
I have been getting a bit of schooling here and there my whole life, I love to learn. NOW with Kevin gone, I dont have enough credits to get a usable degree. Im currently in school finishing my associates and preparing for my Bachelors 2 more years and I will be done. That does not help me out right now however.
10. Work toward home ownership. This qualifies as an investment, not consumption. Buy the type of home your income will support. Improve the home and beautify the landscape all the time you occupy the premises so that if you do sell it, you can use the capital gain to get a better home.
Doing this, it is a load of my shoulders too. I might add here that you don't have to have a huge home keep what you get with in a doable monetary budget. TOO many friends have gotten way in over their heads in the past and lost that beautiful home with 6 bedrooms even though they only have 2 kids.
11 Appropriately involve yourself in an insurance program. It is most important to have sufficient medical and adequate life insurance.
If you have no money this one does not take precedence for most folks. Kevin and I had one but had to let it laps as we could not make the monthly payments any longer. I would be much better off had we been able to keep it.
12. Strive to understand and cope with existing inflation. Learn to see through the money illusion and recognize the real value of money. Most wage earners today have less purchasing power than they did [a few years ago]. To some degree inflation is probably going to be with us for a long time. Realize that you are living in a new era of higher prices and less abundant energy.
Yup thats all I can say about this one.
13. Appropriately involve yourself in a food storage program. Accumulate your basic supplies in a systematic and an orderly way. Avoid going into debt for these purposes. Beware of unwise promotional schemes.
A firm believer in this. Has saved our buns many times.
This , the financial, aspect of life has been both frustrating and wonderful in so many ways. at first things were good, when Kevin had work we could budget and actually sit down and discuss things. Later not so much to the point I became frightened of those "talks" so avoided them at all costs. He did too and it caused a bit of difficulty. When money is at issue Marriages become shaky, Kevin and I did discuss that at length sometimes, when things were financially good. But we rarely had budget meetings for years and years. It got dumped on me to take care of, there are many reasons not of which matter but, I am lucky that I currently am ok. I have lived through awful times when food was boring but we ate, when others didnt have enough we shared. That will surprise many but life is not always as it is observed.
I think too it is important for each person in a marriage to have private fun money, that does not mean it is NOT available when a crisis happens, of course it is but, as a stay at home mom without a job it was hard sometimes to do fun things for my husband with out his knowledge. I didnt have a fund for that HE did but, not me, it was not on purpose but I think women in the LDS church have a sort of guilt sometimes about doing things for themselves, because it makes them selfish and less of a good Mormon woman. That is just not so, if a woman who is the hub of the home, is not healthy, happy, fed emotionally, spiritually and physically she will NOT be as effective or be able to DO all she needs to do. Husbands forget this, ok mine did. Im just now finding it is NOT selfish to buy those shoes I like or get my hair cut professionally, Did my husband NOT allow this, nope he was all for me doing things but I didn't feel it was my place to take that money from the budget for selfish reasons. MY problem. Don't fall into that trap. WE as daughters of God are worth a little each month, we should not feel guilt for taking time or a little money to be happy.
Day 8 was another really long one so again I just scanned it.

No comments:
Post a Comment